Why Math isn't a Dry, Boring Subject

I know I've heard this all through high school, and I guess I did kind of understand the reasoning behind it.

"God math is so hard, kill me before I get to Algebra", "Please give me last night's Geometry homework, I couldn't even deal with it", "Honestly not surprised that I'm failing Algebra 2, how do you do it Rachel?".

I'd say 95% of my friends hate math and are always dreading going to the class. I never really felt this way because math always clicked for me and I always understood it and didn't feel very stressed over it. But I feel as if math is accumulating somewhat of a bad reputation, and I'm here to defend it.


 Math is in Everything we do

I know this is totally a typical math teacher response when kids whine to them saying "why do we have to do this? When will I ever use this in real life". Sometimes I've totally been there, questioning my life over whether or not to really study for a statistics quiz since it's only a small part of the regents, but then I just suck it up and power through.

But what's really cool about math is that it comes up in many everyday things, and if you're like me, you actively search for the math in your life. Like for example, in nature.

Since I live in a very rural and small town, there's a lot of trees and plants in my area, including pines.   Fun fact: all the patterns and number trends in agriculture stem from Fibonacci numbers/series/ Fibonacci series is a sequence of numbers where every number after the first two is the sum of the two preceding ones. So it goes:

1+1= 2
1+2= 3
2+3= 5
3+5= 8
5+8= 13
8+13= 21

Examples of nature that follows this pattern would be strawberries, pine cones or flowers. You can even actively see the spiral in their DNA and seeds. Personally, I think it's really cool, and it comes up in so many objects, not just plants.

So basically, the limits of math aren't restricted to the classroom, and it's not all Pythagorean theorems and quadratic formulas. If you really are interested and into learning about math that isn't constricted to academic purposes check out khanacademy's Math for fun and glory lesson set because it's honestly really cool and insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top